Sunday, 10 November 2013

2013 Best Korean Dramas

Just going through the list of dramas that aired in 2013, I have just realised how many I have actually watched. So the following will be a list of dramas I have watched and my opinions on the drama and whether I recommend them. Enjoy. (Click for 2014 Korean Dramas)



For drama related posts I have moved to clarifieddramas.blogspot.com


School 2013 (학교2013)

school 2013 review

















Genre: School, drama, youth

Episodes: 16 + 1 special
Finished airing

Main cast:

Students:
Lee Jong Suk as Go Name Soon 
Kim Woo Bin as Park Heung Soo
Park Se Young as Song Ha Kyung
Hyo Young as Lee Kang Joo

Teachers: 

Jang Na Ra as Jung In Jae
Choi Daniel: Kang Se Chan

Synopsis:

This series is an update to the famed 'School Series' which aired from 1999 to 2002. It will focus on portraying realistic issues, struggles and dilemmas of today’s youths.
Story about Seungri high, a troublesome school that houses students from the most eligible to the most problematic. 'School 2013' shows different life stories of teachers and students as they grow up through conflicts and compromises. - KBS World

My Opinion:

I really enjoyed this drama. It was a memorable one, it dealt with realistic situations (maybe not entirely) and every character had a story line. The drama not only focused on the students but the teachers as well. Jang Na Ra played a very empowering role. Plus, who doesn't the bromance between Lee Jong Suk and Kim Woo Bin. 


Shark (상어)

shark review
























Genre: Thriller, melodrama, romance, mystery

Episodes: 20
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Kim Nam Gil as Han Yi Soo
Son Ye Jin as Jo Hae Woo
Ha Suk Jin as Oh Joon Young
Lee Ha Nee as Jang Young Hee

Synopsis:

Han Yi Soo (Kim Nam Gil) who wants to gain omnipotent power to take revenge for his family and he finally points his dagger to a lady he loves. Jo Hae Woo (Son Ye Jin) learns about Yi Soo's ugly truth about his family but she cannot stop loving him. This story is about agonizing love and tragic life of a man and woman. - KBS World

My Opinion:

I wouldn't say the ending was predictable but I knew it was coming. But that didn't make it less heart breaking when it happened. I enjoyed watching the sibling love. It's a so so drama.


Good Doctor (굿 닥터)

good doctor review

















Genre: Medical, romance

Episodes: 20 
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Joo Won as Park Shi On
Moon Char Won as Cha Yoon Seo
Joo Sang Wook as Kim Do Han
Kim Min Seo as Yoo Chae Kyung

Synopsis:

A medical drama about a man with autistic disorder, who has mentality of a 10 year old, voercomes bias and discrimination by the socitey and becomes a pediatrician by utilizing his exceptional abilities that the illness brings. - KBS World

My Opinion:

Having watched Joo Won in a number of dramas before Good Doctor, I was anticipating this drama and he didn't disappoint. The way he portrayed his character was very realistic and made him all the more loveable. I enjoyed watching Park Shi On grow throughout the drama, this was a good drama. The ending was cute (cameo by Park Ki Woong at the end for Bridal Mask/각시탈 fans).


Gu Family Book (구가의 서)

gu family book review



















Genre: Fantasy, human, melodrama, historical, romance

Episodes: 24
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Lee Seung Ki as Choi Kang Chi
Bae Suzy as Dam Yeo Wool
Lee Sung Jae as Jo Kwan Woong
Jo Sung Ha as Dam Pyung Joon
Yoo Yun Suk as Park Tae Seo
Lee Yoo Bi as Park Chung Jo
Sung Joon as Gon

Synopsis:

A melodrama epic about the great deal of trouble Choi Kang Chi, born as a half-human-half-mythical-creature (or human werefox half-breed), who goes through in order to become human and a story of Choi Kang Chi’s journey of struggling in order to live more like a human than anyone else despite not being able to become human.

My Opinion:

This concept has been done many times over the past few years... so many gumiho related stories. What makes this interesting is that instead of the girl being the gumiho it's the male version. Not a bad drama not a great drama.


I Miss You (보고싶다)

i miss you review



















Genre: Melodrama, romance

Episodes: 21
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Park Yoo Chun as Han Jung Woo// Yeo Jin Goo as young Han Jung Woo (15 years old)
Yoon Eun Hye as Lee Soo Yeon// Kim So Hyun as young Lee Soo Yeon (15 years old)
Yoo Seung Ho as Kang Hyung Joon// Ahn Do Gyu as young Kang Hyung Joon
Jang Mi In Ae as Kim Eun Joo// Yoo Yeon Mi as young Kim Eun Joo

Synopsis:

The drama revolves around a guy and a girl, who both experience a painful end to their first loves at the tender age of 15, and then meet again as adults by playing game of love hide and seek.

My Opinion:

I really enjoyed watching the childhood portion of this drama. The child actors (Yeo Jin Goo and Kim So Hyun) are very good, I can't wait until they get lead roles in other dramas. I have had a soft spot for those two since The Sun Embraces the Moon. 

When it came to the adult actors, I loved the fashion, nails and makeup of Yoon Eun Hye. The infamous pink lipstick. I also liked the portrayal of the adult actors but not as much as the child actors. Overall the drama was worth watching. There are many scenes that are heart wrenching so get a tissue box or two ready. One specific mother and daughter scene made me bawl, but I'm not going to spoil it.



That Winter, The Wind Blows (그 결울, 바람이 분다)

That Winter, The Wind Blows review

Genre: Melodrama, romance
Episodes: 16
Finished airing

Main Cast:
Jo In Sung as Oh Soo
Song Hye Gyo as Oh Young
Kim Bum as Park Jin Sung
Jung Eun Ji as Moon Hee Sun

Synopsis:

A melodrama about a man and a blind woman who don’t believe in love. Oh Soo is an orphan who is left heartbroken later in life after his first love passes away and comes to lead a goal-less life as a high stakes gambler. Oh Young is a lonely heiress who feels she must look after others and herself after her parents get divorced and she finds herself becoming visually impaired. The two will come to find the true meaning of love after meeting each other.

My Opinion:

I liked the pairing. The fairy floss scene was very cute (and was parodied many times). This drama was interesting and maintained my attention. 


I Hear Your Voice (너의 목소리가 들려)

i hear your voice review



Genre: Romance, fantasy, comedy, thriller, crime, mystery
Episodes: 18
Finished airing

Main Cast:
Lee Bo Young as Jung Hye Sung
Lee Jong Suk as Park Soo Ha
Yoon Sang Hyun as Cha Kwan Woo
Lee Da Hee as Seo Do Yeon

Synopsis:

A thriller courtroom drama with fantasy and romantic comedy elements. It will depict the story of Jang Hye Sung (Lee Bo Young), a bold, sassy, thick-faced, comical, and materialistic public defender who becomes a lawyer after overcoming poverty and painful memories from her childhood, comes to realizations about society and justice after meeting Park Soo Ha (Lee Jong Suk), a 19-year-old boy who reads other people’s thoughts and Cha Kwan Woo (Yoon Sang Hyun), an innocent lawyer who lives a disciplined life. Jang Hye Sung is actually Soo Ha's first love after she gave a decisive testimony on his father's murder case 10 years ago and Soo Ha promised to protect her from the killer's threats. Meanwhile, Cha Kwan Woo is Jang Hye Sung's fellow lawyer who is a cheerful and idealistic former cop even though his character a bit slow, he is nice and pleasant with a firm idea of his principles and justice. Together they will team up to to find the justice in the courtroom and solve the toughest cases with less than 1% chance of winning.

My Opinion:
I really liked the story line of this drama. It kept me on my toes. I felt the emotions of the protagonist as he was feeling them, he conveyed his role very well. I felt myself harbouring strong hate towards the villain (so evil).


Flower Boy Next Door (이웃집 꽃미남)

Flower Boy Next Door


Genre: Romance, comedy
Episodes: 16
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Park Shin Hye as Go Dok Mi
Yoon Shi Yoon as Enrique Geum
Kim Ji Hoon as Oh Jin Rak
Park Soo Jin as Cha Do Hwi

Synopsis:

A romantic comedy about a girl named Go Dok Mi who locks her self in her ′tower′ from the world, is caught spying on the man living next door by Enrique Geum.

My Opinion: 

I have watched the other dramas from the Flower Boy Series. This one is not my favourite (I recommend Shut Up: Flower Boy Band) but I did enjoy it. It was a good mixture of comedy and romance. A refreshing drama amongst the serious ones. Light hearted and fun.


Monstar (몬스타)

monstar review


Genre: musical, romance, youth, school
Episodes: 12
Finished airing

Main Cast:

Yong Joon Hyung as Yoon Seol Chan
Ha Yeon Soo as Min Se Yi
Kang Ha Neul As Jung Sun Woo
Ahn Nae Sang as Han Ji Woong

Synopsis:

A drama about behind-the-scenes stories of many people who want to become singers and how teenagers who have been hurt and scarred will be healed through music while find out about love, friendship, and their dreams along the journey.

My Opinion

I enjoyed this drama very much. I found by the end of the drama, I had a strong attachment to every character. The drama had story lines that not only focused on the two main characters but the minor ones as well. It was a well put together drama. I also enjoyed the OST. I highly recommend this one, you won't be disappointed.


Nail Shop Paris (네일샵 파리스)

korean dramas 2013











Genre: romance, comedy
Episodes: 10
Finished airing

Main Cast:
Park Gyu Ri as Hong Yeo Joo
Jun Ji Hoo as Alex
Song Jae Rim as Kay
Cheon Doong (MBLAQ) as Jin

Synopsis:
A romantic comedy revolving around flower boy nail artists and the happenings around them. Hong Yeo Joo, the writer of an internet novel dresses up like a boy to get hired to work at a famous nail shop Paris filled with flower boy nail artists.

My Opinion:
This was a light hearted drama and I enjoyed it. I liked how up until the very last episode I was still unsure as to who Yeo Joo would end up with. I like the unpredictability aspect (she ends up with who I was rooting for). The drama is well paced. The format of the drama, episode to episode reminded me of Japanese dramas, where each episode dealt with a different mini story line (you will get what I mean if you watch it). 

Currently watching

Marry Him If You Dare (미래의 선택)
marry him if you dare review
























Genre: Romance, comedy, time travel, fantasy

Episodes: 16
Currently Airing on KBS2 Mon & Tues 11pm

Main Cast:

Yoon Eun Hye as Na Mi Rae
Lee Dong Gun as Kim Shin
Jung Yong Hwa (CNBlue) as Park Se Joo
Han Chae Ah as Seo Yoo Kyung

Synopsis:

This drama will tell the story about a 57 years old woman named Na Mi Rae (Choi Myung Gil) from 2038, a television broadcast writer, travels back in time to meet her 32-year-old self (Yoon Eun Hye) from 2013 with the goal of preventing her marriage to Kim Shin (Lee Dong Gun) and thus send her past self down a different path in life.

My Opinion:

I stopped watching this drama at episode 4-5. I may try again, but for now I haven't found the drama intriguing, compared to the other dramas it is competing against.


Secret Love (비밀)

secret korean drama review
















Genre:  Melodrama, romance, suspense, mystery

Episodes: 16
Currently airing on KBS2 Wed & Thurs 10pm [finished airing 14/11]

Main Cast:

Ji Sung as Jo Min Hyuk
Hwang Jung Eum as Kang Yoo Jung
Bae Soo Bin as Ahn Do Hoon
Lee Da Hee as Shin Se Yeon

Synopsis:

This drama will depict how a man falls in love with a woman who killed his lover. It is the story about a man who doesn't believe in love and a woman who believes in love but gets betrayed by love. Min Hyuk is a rich guy who has everything but a good personality, and burns with revenge after he found out his lover was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Yoo Jung is a woman who takes blame for those accident. She is a woman who refuses to give up on life even though she′s been thrown into despair. She goes to prison in her boyfriend’s place who causes the hit-and-run accident but she gets betrayed in the end.

My Opinion:

So far I have been liking this drama and am up to date with the latest airing. I have interest in the Jo Min Hyuk and Kang Yoo Jung story line but am over the Ahn Do Hoon and Shin Se Yeon story line.. maybe it's because they are the "villains". Otherwise, I do find this drama intriguing and watch the episodes every week with anticipation. 

The ending was neat and simple. The twist at the end of the 15th episode was unexpected but I did consider it but pushed it aside. Overall it was a good series, the chemistry between the leads was good. Ji Sung seems to suit every female lead he acts with.    


The Heirs (상속자들)

heirs review

















Genre: romance, youth, comedy, school, melodrama

Episodes: 20
Currently airing on SBS Wed & Thurs 10pm

Main Cast:

Lee Min Ho as Kim Tan
Park Shin Hye as Cha Eun Sang
Kim Woo Bin as Choi Young Do 
Jung Soo Jung (Krystal fx) as Lee Bo Na
Kim Ji Won as Yoo Rachel
Kang Min Hyuk as Yoon Chan Young
Kang Ha Neul as Lee Hyo Shin
Park Hyung Shik as Jo Myung Soo

My Opinion:

Honestly I was awaiting the return of Gu Jun Pyo version 2 (Boys Over Flowers), I missed that character very much (that perm/curly hair...memories). Kim Tan is very different from him though, he is the nice guy this time around but has a bad history. Look forward to a love triangle?

Lee Bo Na is such as an endearing character. I am awaiting the bromance between Kim Tan and Choi Young Do. Besides the bad english used at the beginning at the drama, there has been nothing cringe worthy so far. I will keep watching this drama.



Related Posts

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched 6 out of 13 here, but I also watch 13 dramas of 2013.

    ReplyDelete